Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles, also known as comforting chicken noodles, is a delicious one pot meal. Ready in a little over an hour using fresh or frozen chicken breasts. This pressure cooker chicken and noodles recipe has received rave reviews!
Originally published on Aug 29, 2017
INSTANT POT CHICKEN NOODLES
I find that the family and I are drawn towards those most comforting of foods. I have been making this Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles for a long time, though it started out on the stove, then the slow cooker. I much prefer making it in my Instant Pot these days!
One time, I decided to make this dish for a Christmas party with the whole family. It was something different. The best part was not having to babysit it. I just had to shred the chicken after it was done and throw it back in the pot with the noodles to finish.
That gave me time to get other things done for the party. It was a huge hit! We ran out, so note to self to make a larger batch next time!
Making Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles is easy. Just a few simple steps to a hearty and delicious meal:
1) Add everything to the pot except for the noodles.
2) Pressure cook it.
3) Remove the chicken and add the noodles.
4) Pressure cook it.
5) Shred the chicken and add back in.
6) Add frozen veggies if you want to, and let them heat through.
WATCH ME MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND NOODLES
Let me tell you about the noodles I like to use. These are frozen egg noodles, and they are near the frozen bread at the grocery store.
They are very thick, but not too wide, and they have a dumpling like consistency. If these are not what you want to use, or you can’t find them at your store, I have instructions for using egg noodles on the recipe card.
This pressure cooker chicken and noodles recipe makes a delicious soup, too. Just add more broth, and some veggies, if you want!
PIN THIS RECIPE
Instant Pot Chicken and NoodlesPrep Time5 minsCook Time15 minsTotal Time1 hr
Comforting Chicken Noodles that you make in your Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker. The whole family will love this dish! Using frozen chicken breasts and frozen egg noodles, this is an easy meal ready in a little over an hour!Course: DinnerCuisine: AmericanKeyword: pressure cooker chicken and noodlesServings: 4 – 6Calories: 509 kcalAuthor: Sandy CliftonIngredients
- 2 large Chicken Breasts (skinless/boneless, fresh or frozen)
- (2) 10.75 ozcans Cream of Chicken Soup
- (2) 14.5 oz Cans of Chicken Broth (or 4 cups)
- 1 Stick of Butter, unsalted (use 1/2 stick if you are trying to cut down on fat content)
- 1 Garlic Clove, pressed (or 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder)
- 1/4 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 3/4 tsp Kosher Salt, divided (or 1/2 tsp table salt)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- (2) 12 oz Packages Frozen Egg Noodles**, (1) 24oz bag. (I use the Reames brand)
- 1-2 cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables (optional)
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté mode (just to get things warming up and start melting the butter, not to actually saute anything).
- Add the butter, broth, cream soup, 1/2 tsp of the salt, pepper, garlic, and poultry seasoning. Stir until combined.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Cancel sauté mode.
- Put the lid on your pot, set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Press the Manual, or Pressure Cook button (or dial), and the + or – button to set time for 10 mins (If your chicken is frozen, do 15 minutes).
- After cooking cycle ends, let the pot sit undisturbed and do a 10 minute Natural Release, then manually release the remaining pressure, and when the pin drops, open the lid.
- Remove the chicken and set on a plate. Turn off the pot (Cancel).
- Add the frozen egg noodles to the pot. Make sure they are submerged in the broth.
- Put the lid on the pot and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Then press the Manual or Pressure Cook button and set for 6 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, shred the chicken using 2 forks. It should shred very easily. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
- When cooking cycle ends, let it do a 5 minute Natural Release, then do a Controlled Quick Release* of the remaining pressure, and when the pin drops, open the lid.
- *A controlled quick release means you release the steam in short bursts, then longer bursts, until you can be sure none of the sauce spews out of the vent with the steam from the intense pressure. Then fully open the vent and let it go.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, if using, and stir.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot. Stir. Let sit covered for a few minutes. If you added the frozen mixed vegetables, they will heat through. Stir and serve.
If You Don’t Have the Frozen Noodles**
- After removing the cooked chicken, turn on the Sauté function and add the noodles. Cook as you would on a stove top until they are done (add a little more broth if needed), then add the shredded chicken back in.
*The noodles will be al dente, with a dumpling like consistency.
**If you use regular dried egg noodles, use 12 0z.